Kdrama Review: My ID is Gangnam Beauty


Stars :  Im Soo-hyang (Kang Mi-rae) , Cha Eun-woo ( Do Kyung-seok), Jo Woo-ri ( Hyun Soo-a) and Kwak Dong-yeon (Yeon Woo-young)
Release date: July 27 – September 15, 2018
Date Watched:  Sep 2018 
Summary : Based on a popular webtoon by Gi Maeng-gi, it tells the story of Kang Mi Rae, who was bullied through her middle school and high school years that she decided to do plastic surgery. 
Reason why I watched the show?  Nothing in particular. But I did recall this series popping up while I was watching What's Wrong with Secretary Kim? and Are you Human?

Why I liked the show? 

Relevant

It's relevant. Granted that the show is a typical series about a girl falling in love with a handsome looking guy, it tackles some serious topics like gender equality,physical abuse, bullying and bulimia, which you don't regularly see. It shows a great deal of courage to show this kind of things on TV, and it also shows that there are people around you who care a great deal about you, that you don't need to go through this alone. 

Strong female characters



I liked that the series has strong supporting woman characters.
To the mom who supported Do Kyung Seok, and said that guys can cry too, and to the Chemistry Department gals (Girl Power!) What drawn to me to the series was the sensibility that these women had over their overbearing male peers. The voices of the girls were being heard! The series opened the Pandora Box and I hope others will follow suit. 

Chemistry


I'm all for a show with great chemistry. One of my determining factor if the series is going to fly off is the chemistry shared between casts. I've seen shows that don't have that chemistry, and it just fell flat. People were not enticed to watch the show or took their time to watch the show.
The casting for this series was superb. Everyone played their part well. 

Ending



The series wrapped up quite nicely. Although, I would have preferred the webtoon special ending (I did take a peek of it) but this will suffice.  

The soundtrack
All good series come with equally amazing soundtrack.

The lack of MV
Surprisingly, this series didn't have that long of a flashback MV. ( I guess, it didn't reach to the point where the lead will fight so bad that they had to reminisce).

What I didn't like in the show? 
As with any Korean fictional story, this story will not happen in real life. This story might have been a hyperbole or an exaggeration of things, and it comes off as too good to be true. 

Overall
Beauty is the eye of the beholder. This is not a bad series to unwind to. You don't need to be emotionally invested in this series. 
Rating : 2 out of 5 ( The build up was very slow)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guide to Terminating NTUC Membership (SG)

How To Apply Canadian Tourist Visa in Singapore

How to Apply for a Schengen Visa (in Singapore)