Myanmar Itinerary 2019: PreTravel


A new year means new travel.. This year, I am travelling to Myanmar.

Before embarking on the journey, I've taken down steps on how I prepared for the trip.  Here's a rough sketch:

Step 1: Booking the airline 

I was fortunate to book flights to Myanmar via Singapore Airlines. SQ was having a time sale for seats and I managed to snatch up some good deal.

Step 2: Travel Agency

Once, the flights have been settled. The next logical thing to do is to scout for a travel agency that can help with travelling to Myanmar. I am going with friends and we are not driving nor we plan to do the trip free & easy. I've consulted with friends who had been there and tripadvisor.

Ultimately, One Stop Myanmar was the clear choice to handle the travel needs in Myanmar. I engaged the travel agency through a series of email. I was channeled from Bon to Hannah.  They were highly responsive (up to a certain time). I've asked them what itineraries they can provide if I am going there for 5D4N and how much will the cost be. They've detailed my itinerary and breakdown of the cost that I need to pay.

For now, I didn't pay upfront for any deposit. I will only pay the total price when I meet them at the airport. I'm only given a confirmation number and all will just be in good faith.

Step 3: What to Expect when ...

To better arm myself with Myanmar, I dug up some information about the place. Temples and Pagodas are sacred places and that the only way to go inside the pagoda and temples is to walk barefoot.I also learned that to get a better view of sunrise/sunset would require you to climb the hills barefoot. (though there is now a directive to protect the temples and climbing the temples are now prohibited).  From which I decided to ..

Step 4: Pack essentials

Re-evaluate the things that I should be bringing in for the trip. February is said to be the coolest and the driest. My day bag will probably contain:

  • Slip-ons and flip flops and shoe bag 
  • Fans, power bank and USB fan (just in case it gets hot). 
  • my hat/cap, umbrella, hand towel,  and shawl. 
  • wet wipes (because it involves a lot of climbing and walking barefoot and partly to freshen up)
  • face mask (for when it gets dusty), insect repellent, UV Cream 
  • Medicine
  • tissue paper, hand sanitiser, and plastic bag (for trash)  
  • Food and water bottle.  

Step 5: Exchanging Money

Usually, before a trip I would have exchanged money at the money changers here but with the recent spat of forgery, I had to be careful and I decided that I will change the money at the airport. Kyat is also not readily available at the money changers here (unless you're near the Little Burma at City Hall)
Currently, the rate is at S$1.00 to $1,216 kyat.

To roughly have a gauge on how much I need to bring, I also had to take a look at their COLA to see how much do I need to exchange.
Roughly, decent food is roughly S$10.00 per meal (or 10,000kyat).



Step 6: Know about the country visiting 

Do check up on the weather and gauge what you're going to bring. The timing where we'll be going will roughly be 17-32C ( from which we need to bring light jacket and dress light). 

You also need to check on what food to eat and what things you can buy there for souvenirs.

Step 7: Brush up on the lingo!

Some words to take note: 
Mengalaba (pronounced as Meng- Gah- Lah- Bar), which means Hello
Chesube (pronounced as Tseh-Soo- Beh), which means Thank you


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guide to Terminating NTUC Membership (SG)

How To Apply Canadian Tourist Visa in Singapore

How to Apply for a Schengen Visa (in Singapore)