Taiwan Pre-Travel


I have been preparing for my not-so-impromptu trip to Taiwan. Taiwan was not actually on the radar of the countries I should visit since I've been there a few times. This time around, it's different. One thing, I am travelling with friends and attending a Japanese concert ( Basically since the Jp artistes only consider Thailand, Hong Kong and Taiwan as their base market, I have no choice but to choose a country that is relatively ok to travel with as long as I know the lingo.)

This trip, I considered it to be hassle-free pre-travel. Thank God, I do not need a visa ( I just hope they don't retract it on the day of my travel. ) for now to go Taiwan. The visa-less trip will lapse on July 2018. So if you want to go Taiwan visa-free, now is your chance. 

So first things up, like in any of the travels that I've been, I have to research..  

Where do you want to go

Since I've frequent Taiwan and have gone to their touristy destination, I decided that this trip would be different (sort of).

  • Shopping at Taipei main station. 
  • Shopping at the night markets - I shall go up on a whim and where my feet will take me.
  • XiangShan hiking trail -  Climb up the steep stairs to see the majestic view of Taipei. 
  • Daan Forest Park - Marvel at their architecture. 
  • YangMingShan - Since we are travelling around flower season, we would want to climb up and see the flowers around this area. ( Well, praying that by mid-March we can still see some sakura!) 
  • Take HSR to go Taichung city. 
  • Attend Maaya Sakamoto concert!
What to buy

Still clueless on what to buy in Taiwan. From what I've gathered, here are some of the things people bring back from Taiwan:

  • Face masks - My Beauty Diary, Kissui, and L'Herboflore.
  • Chia Te pineapple cake - I've personally tried them, they're not too sweet, and spongy.
  • Sugar Spice pineapple cake - Someone gave this to me before, it was also not too sweet, but it was tad dry. I prefer Chia Te's.  Will try their other product like nougat. 
  • Pork Floss / Dried Pork Paper 
  • Dried Fruits
  • Tea
  • Stationery


What you can bring in 
From what I've gathered, as long as it's not marine products, you can bring in to Taiwan. For countries like Australia and Canada, you can't seem to bring in any food at all, and if you do, be sure to declare it. ( We declared the moon cake when we went Canada. Australia does not tolerate polvoron.)
I've decided to bring my staple souvenir to friends: Irvin's Salted Egg potato chips, (Fish skin would have been better but since there were travel restrictions) and some Prima Taste Laksa noodles.


What should I buy/do before travelling
Consider travel insurance

 so that you can have peace of mind when travelling. In case anything happens, you know you're all covered. 

Buy a SIM Card

There are some websites to enable you to buy and pick up at the airport. There's also some that delivers right at your doorstep ( Note: You do have to take into consideration, how long that SIM will arrive. At least after buying your plane ticket, and getting hotel accommodation, consider getting the SIM card while you have the time)

Check the weather 

So that you'll know if you're packing for winter, spring, summer or fall. Granted, you can get the things over there, but it's better if you come in prepared.

Find your mode of transportation from airport to city. 

You may want to know how you want to go about Taipei, Taichung and other cities from the airport.

My travel checklist


  • Umbrella 
  • Jacket - Looking at the weather from 14 - 20C, I need not bring my light down jacket. 
  • Shawl, Socks - To keep me comfy during my 4H flight to Taipei ( taking Scoot). 
  • Eye mask, Travel pillow 
  • Medicine  - Better be prepared in case you come down with something. 
  • Clothes
  • Comfortable walking shoes - Because you might just go up and hike! 
  • Selected toiletries - Bring something you are used to ( Sun block lotion, mosquito spray, toothbrush, toothpaste, perfume, facial mist, wet tissues, facial moisturizer, toner, facial wash)
  • Empty Water bottle - you need one. 
  • Face mask 
  • Gloves - In case it gets cold. 
  • Small notebook - Bring it always. You'll never know when you might need this!  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guide to Terminating NTUC Membership (SG)

How To Apply Canadian Tourist Visa in Singapore

How to Apply for a Schengen Visa (in Singapore)